Sunday, December 7, 2008

Photo gallery from Saturday night in Beijing

** Countdown to our adoption: Only two days left before we get Matthew. **

By TERRY R. CASSREINO

BEIJING, China (Sunday, Dec. 7, 2008, 5:50 p.m.) – You really haven’t seen anything until you spend a couple of hours visiting the Dong Hua Men Avenue night food market.

Hundreds o f locals visit the market at night for a quick bite of favorite local food like noodles, doves and dumplings. You’ll also find candied fruit and vast array of exotic fare like star fish, roaches and sea horses.

Pam and I visited there for a little on Saturday night and already have posted a slideshow you can access in the left-hand column of this blog. Here are a few more photos you might enjoy.


Photo 1: Fresh or candied fruit on a stick apparently is quite popular here in Beijing. Pam and I have seen this all over the Wangfujing shopping district. If I wasn't leery about eating street food, I might give this a try. You have to admit: it looks good, huh?







Photo 2: I have absolutely no earthly idea what this is. It could be potatoes or maybe some other animal. It certainly looked interesting, though.








Photo 3: Here are your basic meat-on-a-stick meals. In the middle you will find sheep kidneys, if I'm not mistaken. I also believe these meats are quickly deep-fried before eaten. I'm not very find of sheep kidneys, so I stayed away from this.







Photo 4: Here is your basic crab. It's a huge crab. Big. Fat. I don't know exactly what kind, but I don't think it is the blue crab New Orleanians and South Mississippians are so find eating.







Photo 5: This is some kind of stir fry, although I can't say exactly what. People from all over crowded this market.












Photo 6: Here is a nice overview of how the market is set up. Vendors cram next to each other and cook the food while customers wait.








Photo 7: I know. I know. This ain't no food picture. But it's a nice shot of the Christmas tree in from of a huge department store in Beijing. It just looked nice and I liked the photo.


Copyright 2008 by Terry R. Cassreino. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment