Saturday, December 6, 2008

Photo gallery from Saturday in Beijing

** Countdown to our adoption: Only three days left before we get Matthew. **

By TERRY R. CASSREINO

BEIJING, China (Saturday, Dec. 6, 2008, 6:20 p.m.) – A busy day today took us to the Forbidden City, a tea house and a late lunch at a neighborhood Chinese restaurant.

I have posted a new photo slide show to the left, where you can click the photos for a expanded version. You also can view more photos at my Picassa Web site by clicking the slide show.

Here is a quick photo gallery you can see here and now:

Photo 1: Pam stands outside the entrance to the Forbidden City bundled to protect her from the sub-freezing cold. We are fast getting tired of having to bundle and layer clothing to go anywhere in town. The weather must warm soon. We hope it will be warmer in Zhengzhou and Guangzhou.






Photo 2: This is an interesting shot of classical Chinese architecture. Actually, everywhere you looked inside the Forbidden City you saw some incredible images. Absolutely beautiful.







Photo 3: I love this close-up of the detail found on the eaves of the buildings throughout the Forbidden City. Notice the animals on the edge. You have to see it to appreciate it.






Photo 4: These vast drums once held water that was used to extinguish dangerous fires that threatened the wood buildings throughout the Forbidden City.







Photo 5: As Pam will tell you any day, I am not particularly fond of taking photos. But I thought I needed some proof that I was actually here in Beijing and Pam was not doing this alone. And I,for once, think this isn't a half-bad picture of the two of us. By the way, I'm the bald-headed guy on the right. And we are both standing in front of some beautifully restored buildings in the background.





Photo 6: Here is an interesting photo of buildings framed by large rocks in the gardens at the rear of the Forbidden City. I just kind of like the framing of this shot.







Photo 7: Here is another view of the rear gardens.










Photo 8: After the tour, our guide took us to lunch at what she called the Old Beijing Restaurant. There, among a crowd of locals and with no tourists in sight, we dined on Kung Pow Chicken, Iron Beef, Pork and Rice and Beijing Noodles. This was the best food we have eaten since arriving. Pam is standing outside the restaurant.






Photo 9: As I said, I am not fond of taking pictures. But I also like this one of me and Pam in front of a tree in the back of the Forbidden City.






Copyright 2008 by Terry R. Cassreino. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment