Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Jet lag, shopping and photos, too

Wednesday, March 29, 2006, 10:05 p.m.

By Terry R. Cassreino

BEIJING
– It's amazing what a little jet lag will do.
Spend 24 hours in the air crossing a zillion time zones and the Intenational Date Line, then you'll probably wind up like us: drained, tired and not up to full speed. Pam seems to be taking it harder than me. But, to tell you the truth, I'm starting to feel it, too, tonight.
Now that I think about it, Holt International Children's Services was right when officials there suggested people consider leaving a few days earlier so we can be fully rested and over jet lag by the time we get our child. Besides Pam and me, a few other families took that advice and came here early.
As for the adoption, Pam and I still have a lot of work to do. I have to complete some additional paperwork (I thought I had finished last week before we left, but apparently I didn't) and Pam and I have to buy gifts for the orphanage staff when we met them and Cao Ai Hua on Monday in Nanchange.
I guess we'll go gift hunting on Thursday, possibly at the flea market across the steet from the hotel. The flea market is similar in many ways to the ones Pam and I visited in Cancun when we were there for a week about five years ago. Vendors can be pushy at these businesses,but they are still fun.
Not much else to report today, so I'll leave you with a few new photos we took Wednesday.


PHOTO 1
Here I am sitting at the table at the reastaurant in the Hotel Kunlun just after breakfast on Wednesday. This was an impressive meal that kind of reminded me – but on a much smaller scale – of Kalby's at the Hilton on Poydras Street in New Orleans.










PHOTO 2
Here is the scene just outside our hotel, the Kunlun Hotel. The construction cranes are common in Beijing as many new buildings are being built all over town as we speak. Ths is a growing city.











PHOTO 3
Pam stands outside our hotel, the Kunlun Hotel.


















Text and photos copyright 2006 by Terry R. Cassreino

No comments:

Post a Comment