Friday, December 5, 2008

Photo gallery from Friday in Beijing

** Countdown to our adoption: Only three days left before we get Matthew. **

By TERRY R. CASSREINO

BEIJING, China (Saturday, Dec. 6, 2008, 6:30 a.m.) – I have one comment after watching the Flying Acrobatics Show: Ouch.

I don’t know how they did it. Pam and I attended a 5:15 p.m. performance that lasted a short one hour. We enjoyed it, had great, center orchestra third-row seats, but wished it would have lasted longer.

The show capped a day that included a walk in the bitterly, sub-freezing cold through the Wangfujing shopping district. I have included two ALL-NEW slideshows in the rail on the left; here are a few more photos you might enjoy.


Photo 1: No trip to the Wangfujing shopping district would be complete without a stop at the open-air street vendors who sell such tasty snacks as starfish on a stick, grasshoppers on a stick and scorpions on a stick. Sorry, though: Pam and I just couldn’t bring ourselves to taste one.






Photo 2: Shops line the alley about a block off the main shopping district. Here, people sell trinkets, small gifts, you-name-it. And the sellers can be quite pushy and insistent. Pam and I didn’t succumb to the intense pressure to buy (possibly because it was so darn cold).







Photo 3: The exterior of this department store in the district shows the elaborate Christmas decorations here and across town.








Photo 4: Now on to the Flying Acrobatic Show. Here is one of the first performers. Pam and I rushed back to our hotel room and tried this same pose. It took Pam about five hours and a few crowbars to untangle me. I still hurt.










Photo 5: Don’t try this at home. I found this stunt so interesting, I placed an empty Chinese Coca-Cola can on the table in our room, placed a small board I found on top of it and then tried to balance myself as I stood -- crushing the can and making a fool of myself. I’m just not flexible enough. I need to stick to writing.










Photo 6: Don’t even ask me how they did this.












Photo 7: I’m still hurting from just watching this stunt. And while it may not seem so in the rather pitiful photos I took, I can assure you this was a G-rated family entertainment with fully clothed performers.







Photo 8: After the show, Pam and I headed next door to the Xiu Lan Restaurant for dinner. Here, Pam enjoys freshly-squeezed pineapple juice because she was a good girl.







Copyright 2008 by Terry R. Cassreino. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. Hey T! Hey Sister! You look really good in that last pic on this last post here. Fluff the hair a little =)! HA!
    I am glad I got to talk to you on the phone - good to hear your voice! Ya'll better hurry back - this little girl is addictive!
    I love you!!! Almost time for Matthew!!!
    love, B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey uncle T and aunt Pam:]
    I am so excited! you have no idea i cant wait to meet my new baby cousin. Camryn has brought the family so much joy in the little bit of time she's been with us. i am so happy for the two of you to be receiving a new member of the cassreino family. Like Camryn, Matthew will bring us much happiness and joy. you and must be delighted. i can not imagine how excited and grate full the two of you mush be. The flight mush have been exhausting, but soon it will all be worth it. We are so lucky to have Camryn and cant wait to meet Matthew. The two of you must be so proud of Camryn she has come a very long way. I don't see her much but when i do its almost breath taking to see how beautiful, smart, talented, and big she is getting. She so smart its unbelievable! i know I'm older than her but I admire her so much. it might sound dumb but she is just so amazing and strong. i am so proud i can say "look at MY cousin isn't she the most beautiful thing in the world!". i am so happy she is here and i can not express how excited i am to know that in just a couple of days i will be able to say"Look at my other cousin isn't he so handsome and strong". i have something great to look forward to. and although i haven't met him yet. i already love him so much. i am so happy for the both of you! good luck and i cant wait to see all of you. The two of you Camryn AND Matthew as one big family!

    your in my heart and my prayers,
    your niece, Jamie:]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you both. Can't wait until Tuesday when you both gt. Love the pictures I can't wait to read the blog. Love Mother

    ReplyDelete