Monday, April 3, 2006

Camryn makes it though first night

Tuesday, April 4, 2006, 7:20 a.m.

By Terry R. Cassreino

NANCHANG, China - We made it through the first night.
Camryn slept much of the night and woke for an hour at about 2 a.m. to eat. After wolfing down a good bit on congee, she went back to sleep and stayed in her crib until around 6:30 a.m. today.
Pam gave Camryn a bath as she screamed and pitched a fit you wouldn't believe. Although the narrative from the orphanage said Camryn loves baths, her crying fit painted a different picture.
In a strange twist, Camryn has now bonded with Pam and unbonded with me. She cries hysterically when I hold her and calms down when Pam takes her.
I’m sure that will change with time.
Today, we will continue paperwork for the adoption and then go shopping for the baby this afternoon. Before then, Pam and I plan to take Camryn for a walk in the neighborhood near the hotel.

Camryn's small size

Camryn is so small that practically all the clothes Pam brought are too big. Pam brought clothes for a 12-month-old child, but Camryn probably fits in clothes for a 9-month-old.
The pair of overalls she came dressed in was a size 6- to 9-months.
Also, if you look closely at the photos I previously posted, Camryn has curls - an unusual sight in China.
Two more notes: Camryn appears petrified of her bottle (she doesn’t seem to know what to do with it or how to use it) and she appears scared of most toys we brought with us.

Battery charger explodes

On a side note: I officially blew up my first electrical appliance.
The new battery charger I bought for our Sony digital camera died a violent death Monday. Shortly after I plugged the charger in what I thought was a 120-volt outlet, it exploded.
The batteries survived, but I have no way to recharge them. So now I must rely on alkaline batteries, which are about $1 for two.

Copyright 2006 by Terry R. Cassreino

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! First night of many more!!!

    Love,
    David & Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the notes, it makes us feels like we are sharing this with all of you. Congratulations on being a family!!!!!!!! It is a wonderful and scary feeling that I know you will do a great job. I love her name. Do not worry about being small Zoe can teach her a thing or two about how small girls rule their daddies. Look forward to seeing the Cassreino Family.
    Love,
    Tammy, David, Nathaniel and Zoe

    ReplyDelete